Labels and folding cartons are essential packaging components for a wide range of products, from food and beverages to cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. These packaging elements play a critical role in promoting products, communicating key information to consumers, and influencing purchase decisions.
In the past, designers would create labels and folding cartons using manual methods like hand-drawn sketches and digital design software. But now, artificial intelligence (AI) is revolutionizing the design and custom packaging process, empowering brands to produce more creative and impactful labels and folding cartons.
Artificial intelligence can use its capabilities to design unique and eye-catching packaging for labels and folding cartons that stand out on crowded shelves. Additionally, it can generate resources for creating personalized experiences that appeal to specific target audiences.
AI-powered packaging is a rapidly growing field, with a wide range of companies developing and using AI-powered tools to create custom packaging solutions. These tools can help brands to:
- Generate more creative and innovative packaging
- Personalize packaging to appeal to specific target audiences
- Improve packaging efficiency
- Reduce packaging waste
The Process of AI-Generated Packaging
AI algorithms and techniques can be used to create AI-generated packaging by training on a variety of data inputs, such as text descriptions, images, and style guides. Once the algorithms are trained, they can generate a wide range of design variations for labels and folding cartons.
For example, an AI algorithm could be trained on a dataset of images of successful packaging designs, as well as text descriptions of those designs. The algorithm would learn to identify the key elements of a successful packaging design, such as the use of color, typography, and imagery. Once the algorithm is trained, it could be used to generate new packaging designs that are similar to the successful designs in the dataset.
The process of AI-generated packaging typically involves the following steps:
Define your requirements.
What are your goals for your packaging design? Do you have a certain look and feel in mind? What information do you need to communicate to consumers?
Choose an AI-powered packaging tool.
Various companies offer distinct AI-powered packaging tools, each with its own set of unique features and capabilities. You should select a tool that fits your requirements and budget.
Provide the AI algorithm with data inputs.
This could include text descriptions, images, style guides, and other relevant information.
Generate design variations.
The AI algorithm will generate a wide range of design variations based on the data inputs you provided.
Select and refine your design.
Once the AI algorithm has generated a set of design variations, you can select and refine the design that best meets your needs.
Innovative AI-powered Packaging
Technology interacts with consumers through interactive packaging, which uses methods such as augmented reality, virtual reality, and sensors. Brands can use interactive packaging to provide consumers with information about products, engage with them, and create personalized shopping experiences.
Here are some examples of interactive packaging:
- Augmented reality packaging: This type of packaging uses augmented reality to overlay digital information on top of the physical packaging. For example, a consumer could scan a QR code on a product package to see an augmented reality overlay that provides them with information about the product, such as its ingredients, nutritional value, and sustainability credentials.
- Virtual reality packaging: This type of packaging uses virtual reality to create a 3D experience for consumers. For example, a consumer could put on a VR headset and scan a QR code on a product package to be transported to a virtual world where they can learn more about the product and its features.
- Sensor-based packaging: This type of packaging uses sensors to track consumer behavior and to interact with them accordingly. For example, a smart refrigerator could use sensors to track when consumers are running low on certain food items and could send them a notification to reorder those items.
Interactive packaging has the potential to revolutionize the way that consumers interact with products and brands. By providing consumers with more information about products and by engaging them with brands in new and innovative ways, interactive packaging can help brands build stronger relationships with their customers and increase sales.
Technology is used in smart packaging to track and monitor products. The packaging achieves this through various methods such as augmented reality, virtual reality, and sensors. Brands use interactive packaging to engage consumers, provide them with information about products, and create personalized shopping experiences.
Here are some examples of smart packaging:
- RFID tracking: RFID tags can be attached to products to track their movement through the supply chain. This information can be used to improve efficiency and reduce waste.
- Product monitoring: Sensors can be used to monitor product quality and safety. For example, sensors can be used to track the temperature of food products to ensure that they are kept at a safe temperature.
- Consumer information: QR codes can be placed on product packaging to provide consumers with information about products. For example, a consumer could scan a QR code on a food product to learn more about its ingredients, nutritional value, and sustainability credentials.
The packaging industry is witnessing emerging trends such as interactive packaging and smart packaging. These trends could potentially revolutionize the way brands package, market, and ship their products. By utilizing these technologies, brands can enhance efficiency, minimize waste, and develop more engaging and personalized experiences for their consumers.
Examples of AI-powered packaging
Several brands are already using AI-powered packaging to create unique and effective labels and folding cartons. For example, the food and beverage brand PepsiCo has used AI to generate personalized designs for its Lay’s potato chip bags. The designs feature images of consumers’ faces, which are generated using AI algorithms.
Another example is the cosmetics brand L’Oréal, which has used AI to generate designs for its lipstick packaging. The designs feature custom patterns and colors that are generated to match the brand’s unique style.
19 Crimes Wine uses augmented reality (AR) to bring the stories of the convicts featured on its labels to life. When consumers scan the label with their smartphone, they can see a short video of the convict telling their story. This AR experience is powered by the Living Wine Labels app. The 19 Crimes AR experience is a fun and innovative way for consumers to learn more about the history of Australia and the convicts who helped to shape it. It is also a great way for 19 Crimes to differentiate itself from other wine brands and create a more engaging experience for its consumers.
How to use AI-powered packaging for labels and folding cartons
There are many ways to use Artificial Intelligence for labels and folding cartons. One approach is to use an AI-powered design platform. These platforms provide users with a variety of AI tools to generate and refine designs. Some of these programs include:
DALL-E 3 generates realistic images and art from text descriptions using its powerful AI model. Despite still being in development, it has already created some stunning and creative artwork.
Adobe Firefly, a new AI-powered generative design tool, can assist users in creating and refining their designs for images, videos, and 3D objects. It has the potential to revolutionize the way people create creative content, even though it is still in development.
Jasper Art is an AI-powered art generator, can produce various art styles, such as realistic images, abstract art, and cartoons. Users can access and use it easily through a web browser.
Canva AI powers a suite of tools that enable the creation of various designs, including artwork. It offers a diverse range of features and is user-friendly.
Another approach is to use a design service that specializes in AI-generated design. These services can help brands to develop custom AI models that generate designs that meet their specific needs.
For more information on exporting print-ready artwork from Canva, visit our blog post!
Using a combination of AI-generated images and traditional graphic design
To create stunning and effective label and packaging designs, designers can combine AI-generated images with traditional typesetting and graphic design. Here are a few ideas:
- Use AI-generated images to create custom backgrounds or textures. This can add a unique and eye-catching element to your design. For example, you could use an AI-generated image of a watercolor painting as the background for your label.
- Use AI-generated images to create custom illustrations or icons. This can be a great way to add visual interest to your design and to communicate key messages to consumers. You can use AI to create icons or logos for your products, and then add these icons to your overall design.
- Use AI-generated images to create custom typography. his can be a great way to add personality and flair to your design. For example, you could use an AI-generated image of handwritten text to create the logo for your product.
Once you have created your AI-generated images, you can use traditional typesetting and graphic design software to incorporate them into your overall design. You can use the software to adjust the size, placement, and color of the images. You can also use the software to add other design elements, such as text, borders, and frames.
By using a combination of AI-generated images and traditional typesetting and graphic design, brands can create label and packaging designs that are both unique and effective.
The Future of AI-Powered Packaging
Overall, AI-powered packaging is a powerful tool that can help brands to create more creative, effective, sustainable, and efficient packaging. As AI algorithms continue to improve, AI-powered packaging will become even more powerful and versatile.
In the future, companies will increasingly use AI-powered packaging for various applications. For instance, they could leverage AI-powered packaging to design personalized packaging for medical devices and pharmaceuticals. Similarly, manufacturers could utilize AI-powered packaging to create more sustainable packaging for food and beverage products.
The possibilities for AI-powered packaging are endless. As AI technology continues to advance, we can expect to see even more innovative and groundbreaking uses for AI-powered packaging in the years to come.